Whenever I travel in Romania, I’m marked as a foreigner. Little things always give me away; the way I wear my clothes, my hair cut and style, the way I walk, my shoes. Even after almost two years in-country I’m still very obviously an outsider. When I talk, Romanians/Hungarians hear my accent and always ask the following questions:
1. Where are you from?
2. Why are you here?
3. You mean you work for free?
4. Are you married?
5. No? Do you have a boyfriend?
6. Would you like to meet my single son/grandson/nephew/neighbor?
7. What do you think of Mr. President George Bush and his war in Iraq?
(Until recently, this last question was not a part of the normal line up.)
I’ve been an international traveler for almost 10 years now, and I’ve never been asked so many questions about American politics. Nor have the locals ever been so well informed. Yesterday one of my fifth grade students asked me if I was going to vote for Obama or Clinton. He said “I think you’re not republican, so not for McCain.” This 10 year old boy, who only talks about pizza, skateboarding and cartoons held an intelligent conversation about foreign politics in his third language. Robi made me feel dumb.
But this isn’t to say that all the conversations I have are glowing reports of the USA. Most of the people I talk to dislike America and what we’re doing in the world. Bush and “his war” have tainted many people’s view on Americans. One guy even told me that my presence in Romania wasn’t needed or appreciated. Romanians needed to stop leaning on others for support and learn to take care of themselves.
I’m glad I’m here, along with my fellow PCVs. The second mission of the PC is “To help promote a better understanding of Americans on the part of the peoples served.” Talking to these individuals does just that. This American-hating guy who not-so-kindly told me that Americans were not welcome in his country was also shocked that I, as well as the other PCVs I was with at the time, all speak Romanian. He just assumed that we “arrogant” Americans where here without bothering to learning anything about the culture we were living in. It was nice to prove him wrong-even if I couldn’t change his mentality towards us.
5 comments:
You PCV's need to cut back on the PRESIDENT Bush and his "war" thing. Firstly it's not his war, secondly it's our COUNTRIES war, thirdly democratics (including Obama and Clinton - check it out) voted for this war. If you actually understand politics you would know that the President (not Mr. Bush - show some respect - plus the man you show dislike increased the Peace Corps budget to make more positions like yours available) has very little power on the whole. Show some respect and stop acting like a young unknowledgable American. Yes most PCV's are like that - I was one I know that. Once you start paying taxes and have a family and lose some immaturity you might understand this. Oh and don't think I'm naive I've been traveling internationally longer than you and I'm younger too.
Okay. I have read both this post and your response, and in the interest of full and fair disclosure I am a friend of the PCV who writes this blog, as well as a long time republican and someone who voted for Bush in 2004. That being said I am sure someone as well traveled and wise as yourself will appreciate me being upfront about this as I rebut your points.
To counter your first point, the Bush Doctrine of Preemptive military force to protect the nation, is just that, Bush and his team's doctrine. Bush, as commander in chief of the military is "In Charge" of the war, and while it was started under his watch I feel it playing it pretty safe to say "Bush's War" even though indeed it is our country fighting it. The fact of the matter is, since war was not declared by Congress (the only body in the country which can LEGALLY declare war) our country, surprise is not at war. Bush could pull us out at any time, at his own discretion, same as he got us in.
Secondly, I don't see how Bush increasing the Peace Corps' budget has any bearing on 7 years of politics and international posturing which has isolated our country from it's allies and decreased our standing in the world. But you don't have to take my word for it, here are some polls by the University of Maryland that prove my point.
Thirdly, to be fair, Senator Obama has only voted to continue funding for the war, while Hilary Clinton actively voted for the authorization of using troops (don't mistake the authorization for the funding of troops as being the same as voting for war).
Fourthly, The President, and specifically this President, has claimed more power for the executive branch of the government than almost any (if not any) president in the history of our country. I refer you to the president's signing statements, authorization of "enhanced interrogation techniques" (nee Torture) of detainees (the legal status of some which are still in doubt), and unilateral pullout of treaties authorized by Congress (without their advice or consent).
Lastly, I don't see how having a family or paying taxes (which by the way, we all do and have since most of us were employed before our Peace Corps stint) makes you "more qualified" to speak on this subject than any other citizen, unless you're claiming that by having "a family" and "paying 'more' taxes" than I makes you more of a citizen of America than me...but I don't think for a second you would try to make that argument.
Lastly, I don't see how your opinion was any more informed than the bloggers, and I don't think we should start the "I'm younger and have more international experience" argument, because a) having more international experience is irrelevant, you could've been born in indonesia to american parents, but that doesn't mean you were out experiencing the world in a deep way (vis a vis american foreign policy and government) when you were 4. And b) you're claiming "when you're older" she'll understand, but if you're not older, and thus in a position of more more supposed "sage like wisdom"...how can you?
Edit: I forgot, and forgive me, to respond to your "show some respect" comment. Respect for what? What was disrespected? Our Troops? The War? Bush's Policies? A discourse of these topics are vital to American Democracy, and I request you response to this and tell me, precisely, what Respect you want us to show? Stop calling it "Bush's War"? I think I proved my point in the above column, but I will be happy to respond more fully to that when I have some clarification as to what you meant.
In response to your "show some respect" comment, I'd like to point out that I referred to the man as "Mr. President Bush." That is a direct translation from the Romanian phrase "Domnul Prezident Bush," which is the proper way to show respect in that language. It works for other professions as well; as a teacher I am known as "Doamna Professora" Kate (Mrs. Teacher Kate. It doesn't matter that I'm not married, using the "Mrs." shows more respect. If our president was an unmarried female, she would still be called Mrs. President.)
As to the other points, I'll just let Stephen's comment speak for the both of us rather than reiterate it again.
Good Afternoon Kate,
My name is Holden and I am student at Fordham University, I realize this is a little bit creepy writting you a comment on your blog about Romania. However, I am part an organization on campus called Global Outreach (GO!). GO! is a service learning and cultural immersion program. This summer we will be traveling to Romnania to do some international service work. I had gone on this project last year and am returning this year as the leader (whether I am fearless or not is still to be determined). I was going to try and emial you after i stumbled upon your blog however you have no email listed. So, in a nutshell I am trying to reach out to all peace corps volunteers in Romania to help me and my 10 student participants. I am looking for places that could use us to do some service work while we are there over the summer. If you could email me back with any comments or suggestions or other people i could email that would be great. Thank you so much!
Your blog is great too by the way!
K. Holden Rumph
kholden.rumph@gmail.com
Why do you think they lean on others? They've been in communism for decades.. How would you feel if someone takes stability from under your feet, so to speak. I'm not defending their ways but who are you to sit there and judge what they have been through? They don't know how to do for themselves because Ceauscescu brain washed them. Now they don't know how to help themselves. It's such a horrible issue. I wish I could help. I am just a student.. Anyways, bye.
Post a Comment