Monday, September 10, 2007

My summer!

Welcome back! I hope everyone enjoyed summer as much as I did. Man, was I busy. A few days after school ended I volunteered to work a medical conference hosted by the Prader-Willi Syndrome Association of Romania. It was a lot of fun, and I got to brush up on my rusty German because I was translating.

Then, just after that my parents came to Romania. We spent one week here in Zalău and the neighboring cities so they could get an idea of what my life is like here. I even made them hitch-hike twice! Dad thought it was a lot of fun, but I don’t think my mom was too thrilled.

After hanging out in Romania my parents and I took a train down to Istanbul, Turkey. Man, that was probably the longest train ride I’ve ever been on. It took us about 30 hours. Once there, we went to the airport and picked up my older sister who flew in to meet us there. Istanbul is a very beautiful city! We went to the Hagia Sofia and the Blue Mosque. But we spent most of the time shopping at the Grand Bizarre. My mom and sister loved the prices, but didn’t like bargaining with the venders.

After they all few out, I had a few days to relax and un-wind. But not many because it’s a tradition in Zalău every year to have a Roman festival. It was really fun! People wore togas all day (including the mayor) and there were gladiator fights and lots of tents selling foods and crafts. There were traditional dancing and music, and it was just a good time.

A few weekends later was called “Zalău Days.” It’s kind of like a big birthday party for the town. I had a bunch of Peace Corps friends come into town and visit and to party. There was a band that played country music in Romanian. It was really funny, because most people didn’t know how to dance to it. My friend Autumn, from Indiana, and I started the electric slide and people were really confused.

Two days later I had some German friends fly in to visit for a week and I met up with them in a town called Oradea. After a few days there, we all came back to Zalău. That Friday was my birthday, so five PCV friends came into town to help celebrate. Counting the Germans, my apartment was full!

I also volunteered at a mountain biking/climbing/hiking race in the Carpathian Mountains. That was a lot of fun, and very beautiful. My tent was on the side of a mountain. Then I decided to go for a different change of scene and went camping at the Black Sea Coast with friends. We had a big PC meeting in a town called Venus, which was on the Black Sea so we spent a lot of time at the beach.

After that, I went off to Budapest, Hungry to meet up with my twin sister and friend. They came to visit for two weeks. We spent three days visiting Budapest and then took a bus into Romania. While here, Ellie, Bekah and I went to Oradea to visit the hot springs there. And then we went to Cluj-Napoca to see the beautiful city there. Went to the Roman ruins in the village Moigrad near Zalău and spent lots of time in Zalău. It was really great seeing my sister and spending time with her. And that’s where I am now. School starts next week, and I’m looking forward to my second year teaching.










So, like I said, my summer was jam packed and a lot of fun.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

New 9th graders who are reading old posts to get to know you want to know if your Romanian host family plan to get you married to a Romanian boy has worked yet! Thanks! --D block

Kate Neidhamer said...

Ha ha ha, nope. It doesn't mean they've given up though. I've just got really good at avoiding the topic.

Anonymous said...

Block E (also new 9th graders) have some questions:
- What's on TV? American shows? Are they translated? New or old?
- Do you go out clubbing in your town?
- Do you eat dairy products? How's the cheese? What's it made of?

Kate Neidhamer said...

Hi and welcome to both block's D and E.

-What's on TV?

I rarely watch TV becuase I don't have one. But I do know that there are a lot of music videos, mostly American artists/bands. Justin Timberlake is huge here! There's also a lot of cartoons, translated into Romanian, and the Animal Planet, not translated but with subtitles in Romanian.

There's also a lot, lot, lot of soap operas in Spanish. These are very popular. I've also seen a whole station dedicated to tarot card reading and horoscope stuff. That's big here too.

-Do you go out clubbing?

I do go out clubbing, but not in Zalau. I used to go out here in Zalau, but often times I would see my older students at the same clubs and bars and that just freaked me out. So now when I want to go dance I visit friends in neighboring cities, Oradea and Cluj-Napoca, and go out there.

-Dairy products?

Yes I eat lots of dairy products. As I type this I'm drinking a glass of milk. But milk here is different. It has a weird taste because it's pasteurized more than ours in the States is. So, I don't even need to put the milk in the fridge if I don't want to. The cheese is ok, it's not as good as French cheese, but it's not bad. I eat a lot of just generic cheese because it's about all I can afford (cheese is really expensive!). It tastes like a very mild cheddar. This cheese is made from cow's milk, but if I wanted I could also find goat's milk or sheep's milk cheese. Goat's milk cheese is white and really good on pizza.

Anonymous said...

From this year's sophomores (G):
- Will you have lots of new students this year? Will some of them be the same? What else will be new this year?
- Do you feel like you are getting along better in Romania now? Have you made friends with local people as opposed to PCV's?

Anonymous said...

- Could you list all of the countries that you've visited?
- How do you explain potentially embarrassing things like what "smack that" means?
--Block D (again)