Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Block C's questions

- How did you know the couple being married?
My best friend in Romania is another Peace Corps Volunteer named John. John's boss is Dana, the bride. Because John and I are such good friends, Dana suggested that John bring me to the wedding as his date. That way he would have someone else to speak English with, and I would get to see a Romanian wedding.

- What was the name of the band that was playing at the mall?
I don't know. I wasn't with the bride when she was kidnapped.

- Are you planning a wedding in Romania? (haha)
As much as my host parents want me to get married here, I doubt I will. But, if I did I would have the greatest crown ever!

- We're wondering about the pronunciation of the word for the wedding godparents -- can you spell it out phonetically for us?
Naş.
The “n” sounds like the n in ring, longer than a normal “n” sound. The “a” is like the “a” in father; it’s also drawn out more than a regular “a.” The “ş” makes a noise like a teacher telling her class to be quiet. Shh.”

Phonetically, it looks like this (using the International Phonics Alphabet): ŋɑʃ

Naş means "godparents," not just wedding godparents. When a baby is born, he or she will have baptism godparents as well: naş de botez. Wedding godparents are naş de nuntă.

No comments: