-How did your camera get stolen?
My camera got stolen by my own stupidity. I took a trip to five different countries over my two week Christmas break and I took my camera with me. I took a bus to the
-Is the camera the only thing that you have had stolen?
Sadly, the camera wasn’t the only thing I’ve had stolen. When winter first hit, my sister sent me a ski cap with the Detroit Tigers’ logo on it (they’re my favorite team and baseball’s my favorite sport). I loved that hat, but it got stolen too. And I’m pretty sure one of my students took it. By now I’m ok with it; I realize that my possessions aren’t as important as I once thought they were. I can live just fine without a Tigers’ ski hat.
-What kind of internet access do you get?
I have really good internet at home. It’s broad band.
-What kind of things do students use as soccer ball substitutes?
Tin cans or tennis balls are used often. Any type of ball they can find also be used-basketballs, volleyballs, whatever.
-Do students or other people follow professional soccer? The national team? Other professional sports?
People here L
OVE to follow soccer! Each large city has their own team, and people are very dedicated to the team of their choice. Steaua is the name of the
-What's on TV? "Romanian Idol" perhaps?
Ummm…I’m not really sure. I don’t have a television so the only time I get to watch it is when I visit friends. My friend Kim says there’s a dancing show, kind of like “Dancing with the Stars” called “Dancez pentru tine.” Cartoon network is translated into Romanian. There’s also the Monica Gobel Show which is a reality TV show about an 18 year old model who married a 60-something year old man. Though most TV shows are old American series, still in English with Romanian sub-tittles. Because we are so close to
-Do you think that the classes are more challenging in
No, I’d say if anything the academic work is more challenging in
-Is it starting to get warmer? Are the trees starting to get leaves?
It is starting to get warmer. Most days are in the 50s, and I love it! As far as the trees go, they would have leaves if the trees had any branches. I’m not sure why, but when it first started getting warmer out a group of men went around and cut off all the tree branches. It’s very sad, all the trees look naked. I’ve asked several friends about why they did that, and nobody seams to know. Everyone just said “they’ve always done it.”
-Are there big national or international chain stores? Is there a local McDonalds?
There are lots of chain stores, but not many that we have back in the States (other tha
n fast food). Leonardo’s is a shoe store that I’ve seen in every Romanian city I’ve ever been in, as well as giant Wal-Mart type stores called Real, Metro and Kaufland. Real and Metro are French chains and Kaufland is a German chain.
In
4 comments:
Class C says have fun in Egypt and don't get mummified! The students are thinking about sports equipment that they have at home that your students might like -- do you think that a deflated soccer ball might make it to you? Would you/students have a pump to reinflate it if it made it there?
Don't worry Class C, I plan on having a blast sans mummification.
And a deflated soccer ball would probably make it to me and I checked with my school, and we have a pump.
Class B has a few more questions for you!
-Can you explain the academic competitions between schools?
-Does Zalau have a movie theater? What is shown there? Disney? Other American stuff?
Thanks!
The academic competitions between schools are mostly just quizes; something like Jeperody. They see who knows the most information about the different topics.
Zalau does not have a movie theater. Well, we do, but it's been closed for remodeling for about two years now. The movies here are just American movies with Romanian sub-titles.
Post a Comment