Thursday, March 15, 2007

Romanian school system

Schools in Romania are very different than schools in America. Fist of all, the schools are often too small to house all the students, so there’s two different time schedules. Half of the students go to classes from 8:00 AM until 2:00 PM. The other half of the students have classes from 1:00 PM until 6:00 PM. Most often, the elementary school students are in the afternoon and the middle/high school students are in the mornings. And students are put together in a class, and then stay with that same class all day, every day. Like in American elementary schools. But these classes stay together for the entire time a student is at that school, most often for five years.

Another thing is the students stay in one class room all day andthe teacher’s rotate. Classes are 50 minutes long, with a 10 minute break between them. In the break the students stay in the class room while the teacher goes to the teacher lounge to get the materials needed for the next hour. During this time there is no adult in the classroom with the students, so things sometimes get really crazy. I’m special because I have my own classroom and the students come to me for lessons. My classroom is very small, with only 15 desks so my largest class should have only 15 students but that’s not always the case. I have one class of about 25 students, meaning kids are sharing seats and tables, and some are just standing in the back. I don’t have seating chart for that class, so it’s always a mad rush to get to class first to get a seat.

Another thing that’s different is the class schedule. Every day is different. Students can study up to 17 different subjects every week, so trying to fit that in every week can be a little confusing. In fifth grade students choose an intensive, something like a major. The students I teach are English Intensive, so they have three hours of English every week. Normally they have to study another language as well, so a lot of them have two hours of German or French as well. One of the classes I teach is students who speak Hungarian as a first language, so they have Romanian lessons as well. Can you picture it? 3 hours a week of Romanian, 3 hours a week of English and two hours a week of French plus other classes?! But these students may only have one hour a week of math, or one hour of gym. It all depends on what they’re intensive is.

The most important thing for a student is his/her grade. Grades here are represented in numbers, not letters like we have in the States. A 1 is the worst grade and a 10 is the best. If a student gets an 8, he/she will probably start crying. Grades are very important here because getting into a high school is very competitive. Unless a student has all 10’s, he/she won’t get into the best high school. It’s very stressful for students. Grades are recorded in a giant book called a catalog. Each class has their own catalog that the teacher’s carry around and guard. At night, all the catalog’s are locked in a giant box in the teacher’s lounge which is locked itself. These books record everything-from absents, to grades, to behavior, to parent’s phone numbers. Everything. I think that’s why they’re so big; one catalog is about the size of my torso.

Those are the main differences between the schools. When I first got to Romania, I was very confused and it took me a couple months to get used to them. But now that I understand the system, I don’t have any more problems. You can view more pics of my school and classroom here.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Kate! We're back with more questions:

- You said that students might take up to 17 classes in a week; what would those all be? (Our students are more traditional American students and they only take 5 that meet every day plus Theater, Art, Music, etc.)
- Why do the school sessions overlap for an hour every day? If there's not enough room in the school, wouldn't that be a problem?
- Do students get homework? How much per subject?
- Do you have students with behavior problems in your classes? Or are they all eager, well-behaved learners?
- What sports do the students play? Do they play some competivively between schools? (Lots of our students are in the middle of lacrosse season, very popular here in southern Maryland)
- Do students get vacations during the year? (Our students just got back from a week off from classes for spring break.)
- Do elementary students have recess during the day?

Thanks very much! --B block

Anonymous said...

Well, hello there. My name is Bianca and I'm a Romanian student. It was indeed very interesting to read about how an American sees the Romanian school system and also the way things work out here. I totally agree with everything you have written and I would also like to add that when students get into a highschool they actually have to study more than 17 subjects, sometimes over 20 (that would depend on the class profile). Also, because each minister brings a change, this year the students have to give 3 thesis/semester, that means 6 thesis/year (at the Romanian, Mathematics and Romanian History/Romanian Geography subjects). One grade will result out of all these, grade which will be added to the average grade of the 4 gimnazial years. The sum will be divided in 2, and this is the grade that will actually get a student in the highschool.
Kate, I really admire you for your work, and I'm sorry if I repeated things you already know, but I thought some that read your blog may be interested in that. I would also like to ask you how old are your students? How do you manage with the language? Which differences between a Romanian student and an American student are most relevant? I will keep an eye on your blog and hope to read more as soon as possible. Goodbye and have a nice stay in our country!
PS: I would like to answer to the comment before, about the homework. Yes, the students get actually quite a lot of homework. Almost every teacher gives a student twice (actually more) exercises than they do in the class, that would depend. There were a few problems in the schools out here because the parents said the kids were exhausted and spent too many hours doing the homework. But this depends on the teacher, and each gives as much homework as he/she considers.

Unknown said...

Hi Kate.....
we're doing a historical fiction narrative based on immigrants moving to America...
i'm doing my story based on rome..
n i was wondering if u could explain a little more about what kind of things they do in Rome....
or their lifestyle n such...
like what r the expectations for a girl n the way the family lives...
well that is if u can.. thank you...

Kate Neidhamer said...

Pene,

I would love to help you, but I'm afraid you're a bit off. Rome is the capital of Italy. Romania is its own country. Like Italy, it's in Europe, but further East. Sorry I can't be more helpful.

Dwayne said...

Wow, thats ALOT of great information. I am a newly certified TEFL English Teacher, currently teaching in Prague, Czech Republic. I have often considered visiting Romania, and perhaps even moving there and teaching as I do here. Though I have over 20 years of teaching experience only the last 6 months or so have been in English in a foreign country. I like it a lot, and it does give me a sense of helping which is important. So, I appreciate all the information you are sharing as well. One question I do have however is from the teacher perspective. If I were considering finding work there teaching English , and wanted to secure employment before I left here, what would you think would be the best method and resources to meet that goal?
Thanks again, Dwayne AmericanGuyInEurope@gmail.com

Anonymous said...

Hi Kate, Next year i will be going to Romania for a foreign exchange program, during my senior year of highschool. i was was curious as to when school starts/ends (monthwise)and any other details that you may think are valuable to know. thanks!