I guess I wasn’t very clear about what, exactly, I’m doing here in
I didn't get sent to he week, I teach English to middle school students. It’s like taking Spanish as a foreign language, only here the foreign language is English. In the summer, because there’s no school, I work on different projects. Like last summer I was a counselor at an English summer camp. (Kids here say “This one time, at English camp…”) This next summer, I’m volunteering as a German/Romanian translator for a medical conference about children with rare diseases, working English camp again and hopefully other projects as well.
Not everyone in the Peace Corps is a teacher though. There are people here who work with NGOs (Non-Governmental Organizations), NPOs (Non-Profit Organizations) and for city halls. So really, in the Peace Corps you could do anything. I have one friend who went to college to be a Zoologist, and works with bird re-habilitation here. Her job is to train rare birds how to fly again.
Because I’m a Peace Corps Volunteer I don’t get paid a salary. But I do get a monthly living allowance, so that means I get enough money every month to pay for food, electricity, heat and other stuff like that. I get about $250 a month; if you worked out the math that means I earn about $1 an hour. That isn’t a lot, especially when a 20 oz. Coke costs just under $1.
Well, I hope that answers some questions. If anything else pops up, ask away.
5 comments:
what made you go into this program. is it fun.
What interested you to join the program. Do you enjoy it? How is Romainia.
Hy my name is greg is there alot of different kinds of animals to hunt in Romania.
It must be really hard to live on only 250.00 a month. You must have to be really careful on what you buy.
To be honest, I'm not really sure when I first learned about the Peace Corps. When I was still in elementary school my aunt gave me a book about Africa and I loved it. She joked that I should join the Peace Corps so I could live in Africa, so I did. Only I got sent to Romania and not anywhere in Africa.
I love it here. There are some really good days and some really...not so good days. I'm lucky to live in a country as modern as Romania; I have a cell phone, Internet, running water...all the basics. But it's also hard here because the people here still remember communism and don't trust me because they think I'm a spy for the CIA. But the good days out weigh the bad.
And it is really hard to live off 250 a month. There's a lot of stuff I can't afford to do; like go out to eat, go to the movies, buy new clothes, have a TV. But it means I appreciate what I have even more. And I realize that I really don't need all that other stuff to be happy. So it's a trade off. But sometimes I just wish I could watch some TV!
Post a Comment